Specimen Collection, Transport Media and Delivery
Specimen delivery cutoff time is 1 p.m. Monday – Friday workdays (no weekends or holidays).
Go to "After Working Hours" for alternate instructions.
Deliver to Room 3S240 Manguson Center: Blood, bone marrow, CSF, FNAs, fluid or other cell suspensions at room temperature (20 - 25C). Deliver frozen cells on dry ice.
Peripheral Blood Sodium Heparin vacutainers, Collection & Delivery
10 - 20ml blood in sodium heparin green top vacutainer tubes.
For Absolute Lymph count < 1.0 K / uL, collect an additional 20-30ml.
Deliver STAT at room temperature, no cold packs or
Call for STAT Escort pickup and delivery (301-496-9295) to Flow Cytometry 3S240.
Bone Marrow aspirate Heparinized Syringe, Collection & Delivery
See also BM Aspirate collection instructions
- Go to scheduling.com to schedule BM aspirate collection.
- Before collection, get sodium heparinized syringe from the Pharmacy for BM aspirate collection.
- The fellow or assisting nurse must aspirate 3 - 5ml BM aspirate IMMEDIATELY into the heparinized syringe.
Tip: Aspirate a small air bubble into syringe, cap syringe and use bubble to mix well by inverting 5 times.
- Label with patient full name, unique identifier, collection date, "BONE MARROW"
- Deliver STAT or call Escort STAT pickup and delivery to 3S240 at room temperature, no cold packs.
Cerebral Spinal Fluid (CSF) Transport media, Collection & Delivery
Before collection, get Flow CSF transport media tube:
- Pink solution, blue cap, green label
- CCR 3SW North Procedure Unit or from Flow Lab 3S240 (call (301) 480-7179 or (301) 480-8074).
- The fellow or assisting nurse dispense 3 - 4ml CSF IMMEDIATELY into the CSF transport media tube.
- Cap the tube and invert 5 times to mix well.
IMPORTANT: Label / Deliver specimen STAT in media. Half of cells are lost within hours without media.
- Label the tube with patient full name, unique identifier, collection date, "CSF".
- Deliver STAT / call Escort STAT pickup and delivery to Flow Lab, 3S240, room temperature, no cold packs.
Non-CSF Fluid, Fine Needle Aspirate or LN / Tissue Biopsy Triage in Cytopathology
See also further Cytopathology specimen collection instructions.
- All fluids, FNAs and biopsies require triage through Cytopathology.
- Note on the Cytopathology CRIS order: send aliquot for Flow Cytometry.
- Deliver specimen to Cytopathology; specimen will be transported to Flow Cytometry after triage is complete.
IMPORTANT!! Flow Cytometry aliquot must be FIXATIVE-FREE i.e. no formalin, no B5 fixative, no alcohol, etc. Fixation will cause cell death and is not reversible.