List of potential workshops to be conducted at the 2010 CCR-FYI Retreat
This list was prepared by Raed and Karobi.
Workshop committee co-chairs are responsible for proposing a no. of workshops.
These were then voted on by a CCR-wide survey ( mainly post-docs & post-bacs) and the final workshop list ( 6 workshops) was put together.
Workshop ideas for 2010 Retreat
1. Science Communication : Skills for the Science Educator
Scientific Talks/ Presentations
Scientific Classroom Lectures / Teaching
Science communication through the arts – fine art ( painting sculptures etc.) , literature (novels etc.)
Science through the internet- science blogs, webpages,
You-tube, Human Genre Project etc.
2. Toolkit for the Academic Job Search : Cover letters, CV’s,
Teaching Statements and Networking.
3. The Job Interview: Academia vs Industry.
This session would include mock interviews , tips and
tools for what to expect at an Academic vs Industry
4. How to Review Scientific Papers and Grant Applications:
Tips and Tools from the Experts.
5. Everything You Need to Know About K-grants
Where you can get the relevant information, how to write
the grant, how to meet deadlines etc.
6. Exploring Careers for the 21stcentury
Careers in Patents and Technology Transfer, Scientific Consulting
Biotechnology, Genetic Counseling, Science Policy etc.
7. Bioinformatics and Relevant Computer Skills for Scientists
Free online programs for Bioinformatics, Biowulf at the NIH.
Powerpoint, Computer Animations, Science Videos, How to start
a Science Blog etc.
8. Career Development Skills for Postbacs: Where to go and how to
get there !
Getting into Medical School
Getting into Graduate School
Alternative careers for postbacs.
9. The Art of Science (writing/editing/speaking/teaching)
10. NCI Core facilities
11. Science Management (successful postdoc experience, setting up
a lab, conflict resolution)
12. Moving to Industry
13. Opportunities to build your resume
14. International Opportunities