- Brainstorming, cross-fertilization, and idea sharing within the NCI vaccine community.
- Consensus on issues, such as identification of tumor antigens and determination of relevant and effective assays for evaluating immunologic responses to cancer vaccines, approaches to immunization, and monitoring of disease.
- Identification of infrastructural needs for vaccine trials.
- Recommendations for phase II clinical trial design for vaccine trials (published in J. Clin. Oncol. 19:1848-54, 2001).
- Facilitation of novel phase III cancer vaccine trials coordinated by the intramural program. A subcommittee met and reviewed plans and two phase III trials have commenced.
- Reorganization and oversight of the central NCI contract with SAIC for monitoring immunologic responses.
- Interactions with CGAP to develop strategy to mine the CGAP database to identify potential new tumor antigens.
- Interactions with the Clinical Proteomics group of Lance Liotta and Chip Petricoin to apply a proteomic approach to identify new tumor antigens.
- Interactions with other intramural faculties and working groups to promote mutual interests.