The Center of Excellence in Immunology (CEI) is one of 5 Centers of Excellence within the NCI Intramural Research Program (IRP). These Centers are multi-disciplinary venues that generate connections among diverse intellectual, financial, and physical resources within the IRP to help develop new initiatives, projects, and collaborations that reduce the burden of cancer.
The Mission of the Center of Excellence in Immunology is to foster discovery, development, and delivery of novel immunologic approaches for the prevention and treatment of cancer and cancer-associated viral diseases.
- Provide a format to integrate the diverse fields within immunology and facilitate translation of basic research discoveries into successful treatments
- Serve as a distinctive think tank
- Blend basic and clinical scientific expertise and perspectives
- Merge disciplines and promote new perspectives
- Provide attractive partnership options for academia and pharmaceutical companies
- Promote interaction of immunologists in the intra- and extramural communities
- Annual Symposium-The 2017 symposium will be Cancer Immunology and Immunotherapy: From Conception to Delivery, to be held on October 12-13, 2017 in Masur and Lipsett Auditorium on the Bethesda campus of the NIH. Registration for this meeting is now open.
- The Immunology and Immunotherapy Seminar Series
- Collaborations with the Center for Human Immunology
- Collaborations with the Cancer Immunotherapy Network (CITN)
- Partnerships with the Society for the Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC)
- Collaborations with Biotech and Pharma
Selected Recent Publications
Avelumab for metastatic or locally advanced previously treated solid tumours (JAVELIN Solid Tumor): a phase 1a, multicohort, dose-escalation trial Christopher R Heery, Geraldine O’Sullivan-Coyne, Ravi A Madan, Lisa Cordes, Arun Rajan, Myrna Rauckhorst, Elizabeth Lamping, Israel Oyelakin, Jennifer L Marté, Lauren M Lepone, Renee N Donahue, Italia Grenga, Jean-Marie Cuillerot, Berend Neuteboom, Anja von Heydebreck, Kevin Chin, Jeffrey Schlom, James L Gulley Lancet Oncology, March 31, 2017 online
Avelumab for patients with previously treated metastatic recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer (JAVELIN Solid Tumor): dose-expansion cohort of a multicentre, open-label, phase 1b trial James L Gulley, Arun Rajan, David R Spigel, Nicholas Iannotti, Jason Chandler, Deborah J L Wong, Joseph Leach, W Jeff Edenfield, Ding Wang, Hans Juergen Grote, Anja von Heydebreck, Kevin Chin, Jean-Marie Cuillerot, Karen Kelly Lancet Oncology, March 31, 2017 online
Recruitment of calcineurin to the TCR positively regulates T cell activation. Dutta D, Barr VA, Akpan I, Mittelstadt PR, Singha LI, Samelson LE, Ashwell JD. Nat Immunol. Feb 2017
Cell Transfer Therapy Targeting Mutant KRAS in Cancer. Tran E, Robbins PF, Lu YC, Prickett TD, Gartner JJ, Jia L, Pasetto A, Zheng Z, Ray S, Groh EM, Kriley IR, Rosenberg SA. N Engl J Med. Dec 2016
Timing and duration of MHC I positive selection signals are adjusted in the thymus to prevent lineage errors. Kimura MY, Thomas J, Tai X, Guinter TI, Shinzawa M, Etzensperger R, Li Z, Love P, Nakayama T, Singer A. Nature Immunology. Dec 2016.
Distinct Functions of Senescence-Associated Immune Responses in Liver Tumor Surveillance and Tumor Progression. Eggert T, Wolter K, Ji J, Ma C, Yevsa T, Klotz S, Medina-Echeverz J, Longerich T, Forgues M, Reisinger F, Heikenwalder M, Wang XW, Zender L, Greten TF. Cancer Cell. Oct 2016.
Ionic immune suppression within the tumour microenvironment limits T cell effector function. Eil R, Vodnala SK, Clever D, Klebanoff CA, Sukumar M, Pan JH, Palmer DC, Gros A, Yamamoto TN, Patel SJ, Guittard GC, Yu Z, Carbonaro V, Okkenhaug K, Schrump DS, Linehan WM, Roychoudhuri R, Restifo NP. Nature Sep 2016
Oxygen Sensing by T Cells Establishes an Immunologically Tolerant Metastatic Niche.Clever D, Roychoudhuri R, Constantinides MG, Askenase MH, Sukumar M, Klebanoff CA, Eil RL, Hickman HD, Yu Z, Pan JH, Palmer DC, Phan AT, Goulding J, Gattinoni L, Goldrath AW, Belkaid Y, Restifo NP. Cell Aug 2016
Hierarchical nanostructure and synergy of multimolecular signalling complexes. Sherman E, Barr VA, Merrill RK, Regan CK, Sommers CL, Samelson LE. Nature Communications Jul 2016