Macromolecular NMR Section - Experimental Approach
Solution NMR Spectroscopy
1) NMR Facilities
The Structural Biophysics Laboratory (SBL) operates 4 high-field, state-of-the-art spectrometers:
- 600 MHz (Varian Inova)
- 600 MHz with ultra-shield plus magnet (Bruker)
- 700 MHz with cryoprobe (Varian Inova)
- 800 MHz (Varian Inova)
All of SBL's research sections share these instruments.
The NMR facility is managed by Dr. Mary R. Starich, staff scientist, whose responsibilities include overseeing operations, training, and experimental development on these instruments.
The NMR facility is supported by Dr. Janusz Koscielniak, instrument engineer (contr), who provides electronic design and troubleshooting experience. The facility also has a well-equipped electronics shop and a limited fabrication/machining capability.
2) Other Biophysical Tools
Our staff members routinely use an array of biophysical tools that are available both within the SBL and other resources located on the NCI-Frederick campus as needed. These tools include, but are not limited to:
- mass spectrometry (MS)
- conforcal fluorescence microscopy (CFM)
- electron microscopy (EM)
- circular dichroism (CD)
- ultraviolet (UV) spectrometry
- infrared (IR) spectrometry
3) Other Biophysical Methods
- isothermal calorimetry (ITC)
- fluorescence polarization (FP)
- analytical ultracentrifugation
- light scattering