Referring a Patient
NCI's trial-related treatment does not replace the care of a patient's regular physician/health care professional. The NCI:
- Encourages patients to maintain close contact with their physicians/health care professionals to ensure continuity of care
- Generates a letter updating the referring physician/health care professional after each patient visit
- Emphasizes the exchange of clinical information between investigators and community-based physicians/health care professionals
CCR Clinical Trials at NIH
To make a referral, follow one of the two procedures outlined below:
- Identify trials appropriate for your patient by reviewing the CCR clinical trial summaries (click here).
- Contact a member of the research team listed on the trial summary of a particular trial for more information or to discuss a screening visit.
- Call the NCI Clinical Trials Referral Office at 1-888-NCI-1937 or email Laura Otten or Cynthia Helsabeck with your patient's medical history.
- Have the Clinical Trials Referral Office staff conduct a trial search and assist you in the preliminary evaluation of your patient's eligibility.
- Have the Clinical Trials Referral Office staff either forward the information to the research teams of appropriate trials or provide you with contact information for appropriate investigators.